Sydenham might not be a destination place in south-east London when it comes to food and drink, like Crystal Palace and East Dulwich, but it has some good places. Here’s my top ten.
1.Trattoria Raffaele, 94 Sydenham Road
Some of the best Italian food you will find anywhere. And incredible service. It’s the kind of neighbourhood restaurant everyone wants.
2. Blue Mountain, 260 Kirkdale, SE26
Excellent coffee and a range of sandwiches and specials.
3. Beer Rebellion, 167 Sydenham Road, SE26
Quirky bar owned by Late Knights Brewery of Penge. It sells some fantastic craft beers.
4. The Dolphin, 121 Sydenham Road, SE26
Decent pub with large garden.
5. The Bridge House, 2 High Street, SE20
Situated near the southern entrance to Crystal Palace Park, it is technically in Penge. However, it has to be mentioned because of its great burgers and Sunday roasts. It also has a lovely garden at the back.
6. 161, 161 Kirkdale SE26
Small wine bar with a short menu.
7. Bob Wines, 4 Sydenham Station Approach, SE26
Ken, the friendly owner, offers a great selection of wine from Italy, France, Spain and elsewhere. He will also fill you a bottle from the taps behind the counter.
8. Brown & Green Café, Mayow Park, SE26
Provides a good English breakfast in a pleasant setting.
9. The Cake Store, 111 Sydenham Road, SE26
Apart from a good selection of bread and cakes, it also sells Cornish pasties.
10. Sugahill, 250 Kirkdale, SE26
Small café with a range of sandwiches.